Friday, February 7, 2014

Q + A time!

So I have received a few messages, and have tried to answer them the best that I can back through messages.  Since I am receiving questions similar in nature, I figured I would post the questions and answers every 2 weeks or when they reach 10 questions! Feel free to send in questions, requests, and suggestions.  Also send in photos, I would love to post and share!!

How do you plan all of your meals ahead, and then bulk shop without draining your wallet?
Honestly, its hard, and has taken me a while to perfect it.  I feed a family of 6 now for about $250-300 a month, all depending on how much I have of what I call base ingredients.  Base ingredients being ingredients commonly used in recipes such as garlic, olive oil, spices, sugar, flour, etc... I look at a lot of circulars, and shop a lot of  local meat markets to see who has the better deal.  When I find an amazing deal on chicken breast, I buy it and freeze it, same with cuts of meat.  When I am prepared to do my crockpot meal preparation, I pull those out and toss them into bags since they don't require any pre-cooking. 


Is it ok if I defrost and then re-freeze my meat?
According to the FDA this is not a safe nor recommended practice.  If I buy chicken breasts and freeze them, I don't defrost them to add to my gallon freezer bag meal.  I just add all the necessary ingredients and then toss it in the freezer, that way the chicken never defrosts (or whatever meat you choose). 


What crockpot do you most recommend for home use?
I honestly don't have a particular favorite. I have used many crockpots.  I have a triple crockpot that I used to make appetizers and such when we have guests.  Then I have my go to crockpot, which has a timer on it that automatically switches the cooking level to warm when the time is up.  I find that the newer crockpots do tend to cook at a higher temperature so if you want something really cooked low and slow, I recommend going with your standard family heirloom crockpot. Size wise, it all depends on how big of meals you plan on preparing in them.  Get what you feel comfortable cooking in.


How do you find out what freezes well and what doesn't?
Honestly? Trial and error.  There have been times that I have frozen a prepared meal only to find out the end result resembled and tasted like the bottom of my shoe.  I have a special folder on my computer that says "Never make again for the love of God". 


Does everyone like your recipes?
No.  My recipes aren't for everyone.  A lot of these recipes are base ingredients, and each person should add the desired amount of spice or ingredients to suit their needs.  How will they know what else the recipe needs?  They just have to make it and see. 


Do you really eat crock pot meals everyday?
I have an 11 month old that has learned to walk.  Its either crockpot, or takeout!

No comments:

Post a Comment