Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Superbowl Sunday Crockpot Chili

Call me crazy, but I believe the staple of every successful Superbowl party is a good old fashioned chili.  I have tried many chili recipes, including my husbands all too famous "Matt's 7 pepper what the hell was I thinking chili".  I prefer to make my chili fresh the day of serving, but it does freeze well too for future dinners.

My family has an awesome recipe that was put together by my mother.  My mom is a woman who does not enjoy spice.  In contrast, she married a man who thinks everything he eats either requires more spice, pepper or garlic.  So the one spicy dish that she always made for him was his chili.

This past Superbowl Sunday, we made her delicious chili recipe. I figured I would share it with all of you!


Nonna's Chili
2 lbs - 90% lean ground beef

1 lb - Turkey breast chop meat
1/2 green pepper chopped
1/2 yellow pepper chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
1 large onion choped
3 TBS chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
3 tsp crushed red pepper
1 - 15oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1- 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
1 - 15oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
1 - 15oz can chick peas drained and rinsed
1 - 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 - 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 15oz can tomato sauce

In large skillet add about 2 TBS canola oil, heat the pan.  Add onions and peppers and saute' till lightly brown . Add meat and brown all.  Add all dry ingredients and mix well.  Add beans slowly and mix well.  Add all tomato ingredients and mix well.  Let cool completely.  Add to ziplock bags.  Day of cooking throw in crock pot on low for 6 hours.
*If you are planning on eating the same day, just toss everything in the crock pot and cook low 4 hours*

No comments:

Post a Comment