Monday, January 27, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup... I may have been drunk.

Sooooo... Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my favorite freezer crock pot meals to make.  Its deliciously spicy and flavorful.  Its a few things tossed into a bag that makes a meal unlike any other.  I love tortilla soup, I have it 2-3 times a month that's how much I love it.

Then I had last night's debacle...

I still love it, don't get me wrong.  But next time I do believe that I should cut wine out of the equation while preparing the meal.

I tossed the meal in the crockpot around 1:00 pm so it would be ready around 6.  The smell that was emanating out of my crockpot was piquant. I couldn't wait to give it a try.  So as I am sitting at the dining room table with a few friends preparing our daughter's 1st birthday extravaganza, my husband shyly peeks his head into the dining room and asks if we want to order pizza as opposed to the soup.  It was at that moment that I wondered which one of us was presently enjoying giggles and an Arnold Palmer (I swear I'm not an alcoholic). I looked at him quizzically, and he responded, "you put large tomatoes in it, and there's chicken thighs, not breasts".  Sigh... Que banging head on table.

So sure enough, when I pulled what I thought was frozen chicken breasts out of my freezer (yes I keep a stash in the freezer, whenever they go on sale you gotta grab them up!), they turned out to be chicken thighs. And apparently, I dumped the wrong kind of tomato into the soup.  So now I have bony chicken, lumpy tomato's, and a soup that still smells the same.  My husband braved the first taste (if I screwed up two key ingredients, who knows what else I threw in there!), and alas, it tastes the same that it always does!

So, since the chicken thighs were cooked in the crockpot, they easily separated from the bone. My husband was kind enough to complete this process for me, because after 2 drinks I didn't trust myself near anything aside from a bubble. We just dealt with the rather large size tomatoes.  We have a bunch left over, so this afternoon when we heat it up, I believe I am going to add some rice to the mix as opposed to tortilla's and see how good it tastes.  Because we used chicken thighs, the soup was a little bit greasy, but still delicious.



All in all, the lessons learned are as follows:
-Label ALL chicken before you clean and freeze it.  And don't buy chicken thighs, especially when you're not a fan of them in the first place.
-I shouldn't drink wine while preparing these meals.
-Even with chicken thighs and chunky tomatoes, it still tasted delicious.



Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
11oz can corn with red and green peppers drained
10oz enchillada sauce
1 cup onion chopped
4.5oz can chopped green chiles
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder

No comments:

Post a Comment