Thursday, January 16, 2014

How to get yourselves started for this week

Since I am kicked back, relaxed, and ready to go, I figure might as well start 2 days early on setting you guys up for your crockpot freezer cooking.

The real trick to making everything go smoothly, quickly, and efficiently? Span everything out over a period of 3 days.  I like to do 28 days of freezer meals, since I can buy the Hefty Freezer Bags 1 Gallon Size in 28 counts. This means I get to run out, and buy a box of them (or I buy the 3 pack at BJ's/Costco and save the other 2 in storage for later use). 

I compile the recipes that I want to try, those I know that work and that I like (I normally do 21 recipes I know and trust - and then do 7 new ones - like I say, you never know if you will like it or not unless you try it!). And then I get down to business.

I set up with my trusty cup of coffee, turn the phone on silent, and turn the music up and then I start to write.

Some people tend to label only what the name of the dish is and the cooking directions on their bags.  I tend to write the entire recipe contents as well as the directions.  I do this for 2 reasons.
1- I have adult ADHD.  I get side tracked easily and tend to jump around from task to task. When I do this, by the time I come back to the original task, I honestly forget what I was doing.  So by writing the entire recipe on the bag, I can cross off the ingredients as I add them to ensure that I am not missing or putting too much of one thing in the bag.
2- I sometimes save similar recipes with similar names, I like to be reminded on occasion of exactly which recipe I am cooking (taco soup, one of our favorites, has so many variations that I need to pay close attention to the ingredients).  I have certain family members who love spicy, while others cant stand it.  So I prepare my meal schedule around their taste buds (i.e. if Nonna is joining us for dinner, its not a spicy night).

I write all 28 of those recipes out (there are a few duplicates since a favorite of ours is the whole roast chicken, and chicken tortilla soup) and then sit back when I'm done and read through everything just to make sure I have written down any necessary directions along the way.

I use a permanent marker for this, This is the only type of marker that I have found that lasts, but yet doesn't seep through.

I then go through my recipes and compile my shopping list.  I find that the best way to buy ingredients is in bulk.  For olive oil, and seasonings, we always bought at BJ's so we have a year long supply (will cost you about $100).  Most of the ingredients that aren't the meat are things that you have around the house anyways.  I like to keep my own little stockpile just for my freezer meals that way I don't deplete my supply for regular cooking (yes I have a life outside of my crockpot).

To save ourselves a few extra pennies, we look at the store circulars for the week (our local grocery store is Stop and Shop).  They normally have Boneless skinless chicken breasts, roaster chickens, and ground beef sales every other week.  So sometimes it is cheaper to buy through your local supermarket (or your local meat market if you have one).  Other times its cheaper to buy boneless skinless uncooked frozen breasts from a Wholesaler (and a lot less messy).  I prefer fresh over frozen, because we can cut and trim the fat off of the unfrozen fresh chicken.  Frozen chicken breasts you CANNOT defrost then refreeze.  Its always a matter of preference though.

Once we have the grocery list compiled, and all the recipes written on the bags, I tend to call it a day.  After all I do have an 11 month old running around the house, and have to make some time for her in all this.



No comments:

Post a Comment